We came home from Christmas and my son was hooked on Grandmas Pyrahi, Russian dish. Its like a bun with cottage cheese stuffed inside and drenched in butter its soooooo delish!!
Anyways I came home and tired to make them just like grandma makes for him, but did you know its extremely hard to find dry curd cottage cheese where I live. Yep it is. So I know I was going to have to tackle this one!! It is actually very easy to do. Honestly and it tastes like the real thing. I did end up finding a couple cartons later but now I know how to make this in no time at all!!
I will get you the Pyrahi recipe soon as I haven’t quite perfected it my way yet!!
Homemade Cottage Cheese
Prep Time – 5 min
Total Time – 3-4 hours
Makes – 1 cup (200 gms)
1 liter milk (whole or 2%) you can use 1% as well it will just yield a smaller amount
1.5 tbsp vinegar / lemon juice
Cheese Cloth or nut milk bag
- Bring the milk to a boil stirring occasionally so that the milk does not stick to the bottom of the vessel
- When the milk start to boil, add the vinegar/lemon juice and keep stirring
- The milk will start curdling and the milk particles will separate from the whey(liquid)
- Once the liquid is clear, switch off the flame
- Drain the whey by pouring it in a vessel lined with the thin muslin cloth
- Rinse the cheese with water to remove the vinegar/citric acid taste
- Gently wrap the cheese with the same cloth and squeeze the extra water. (if you squeeze too hard, the cheese comes out)
- Hang the cheese wrapped with the cloth over the sink for 3-4 hours. Alternatively, wrap the cheese tightly. Place a heavy weight on top of it and leave it like that for 4 hours
- Chill until use.